Emotional Intelligence at Work

Who Should Attend

Emotional Intelligence can be defined as the ability to build relationships by managing and interacting skilfully with the free flow of feelings, in one’s self and others, so as to motivate, plan and achieve.
If you are a Manager, Project Manager, Supervisor or Team Leader you know how important it is to have positive and productive relationships with those around you. This course has been designed for you to gain the skills you need to develop this vital capability.


The traditional view was that your Intelligence Quotient (IQ), (your logical, mathematical and linguistic abilities), was believed to be the complete picture of your intelligence. Experience has shown us that there is much more.
A recent study offered the view that successful managers are probably intellectually bright, but often not more so than any of their colleagues. What singles them out is a level of self-awareness and self-management, the ability to stay motivated in the face of challenges and the skills involved in empathy and effectively managing their relationships with their colleagues. They score high in Emotional Intelligence.

Managers whose Emotional Intelligence rating is low show a considerable ‘blind spot’. They are unclear about their own motivations and tend to be largely unaware of the effect they are having on others. Although their technical expertise is often excellent, their effectiveness (and that of their team) is compromised by their lack of the necessary ‘soft skills’.

In relation to Performance Management, the root of the vast majority (90%) of performance problems in the domain of Emotional Intelligence, the other 10% are usually technological shortcomings. You can be sure that investing in the development of Emotional Intelligence will have a positive effect on the bottom line.


Through their active participation in this course delegates will gain:

  • A higher level of awareness of self and their effects on others.
  • A deeper understanding of the role of their emotions as a source of increased personal effectiveness.
  • Greater capability to successfully manage themselves in challenging situations.
  • More skill in focusing their emotional energy and that of others in the pursuit of goals.
  • Insight into how others feel and the importance of taking their perspective into account in order to make an appropriate empathic response.
  • Increased ability to form and maintain positive and productive relationships.


Our trainer will lead interactive and practical sessions that are aimed at developing the 5 core competencies at the heart of Emotional Intelligence (EI).

  • Measuring Your Current Level of EI.
  • Developing Self-Awareness.
  • Successful Tactics for Self-Management in Challenging Situations.
  • Taking Control and Choosing Your Emotional State.
  • Developing the Ability to Empathise
  • How to Build and Look After Positive and Productive Relationships.
  • Creating Your Plan for Continuing Your Development of EI.